How’s your relationship with yourself? Do you take good care of yourself? Do you love yourself? Or perhaps you haven’t given it much thought.
Last night I watched this delightful episode of Queer Eye (love those guys) S03E01 in which they helped Jody to see her inner beauty by transforming her outer self. They said something like, “When you recognize your inner beauty, it reflects on the outside.” I just made that up but it’s the gist of what they said. Jody truly shone and sparkled after they helped her to express her inner beauty without making her into someone she is not. The transformation was so subtle yet so powerful.
Taking care of yourself means appreciating your inner beauty, your inner worth, loving yourself, and expressing that love through the attention you pay yourself. Selfcare can take many forms, or all of them:
· More sleep, because you know you can’t run on empty, and sleep heals mentally and physically.
· Eating nutritious food, because you know that food can heal.
· Wearing clothes that make you shine, because you feel good when they reflect your inner self.
· Moving your body, because you love your body and want to take good care of it so it looks and feels its best.
· Maintaining a healthy weight, because the best weight for your body type is a good base for your health in general.
· More me-time, for time to just do what you love to do.
· More reflection time, because when your inner life remains uninspected and ignored a part of you remains unreconciled.
Many women are selfless, taking good care of all others in their inner and outer circle, but forgetting themselves along the way. Many guys were raised to ignore their inner life and to disregard their physical appearance beyond the exercise part. Where on the spectrum do you fall? How nice are you to yourself?